Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vacation Food, Part 3

Though I made this dish while on vacation, it's more evocative of my childhood.  As a kid, my mom would make this onion-y/salty pull apart bread concoction that my sister and I could not get enough of.  Over the years, my mom stopped making the pull apart onion bread, but it has a place in my happy food memories.

Thanks to the magic of the internet, I was able to resurrect this yummy childhood favorite.  I made it for my husband prior to vacation and thought it was a bit too salty.  I adjusted the ingredients a bit and tried it again during vacation.  It was less salty but still yummy.  This is, by no means, a healthy dish.  It's got a ton of butter and way too much sodium, but if you enjoy it once or twice a year, you shouldn't do any long-term damage.

I served this with BBQ chicken and think the flavor combo was pretty darn good.  Give this a try--it's worth the calories.

Pull Apart Onion Rolls

1/2 c. butter (1 whole stick!)
2 tbsp. instant minced onion
1 tbsp. instant beef bouillon (I used 1 large bouillon from Knorr's)
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/4 tsp. onion powder
2 c. Bisquick baking mix
1/2 c. cold water

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix butter, onion, bouillon, parsley and onion powder in saucepan. Heat until butter is melted and bouillon is dissolved; cool slightly. (Or, if you're lazy like me: melt the butter in a microwave-proof container and then add all the other ingredients and stir like crazy!) Pour about half of the butter mixture into round layer pan, 9 x 1 x 1/2 inch. Spread onions evenly in pan. Mix baking mix and water until soft dough forms; beat vigorously 20 strokes. Drop dough by teaspoonsful onto butter mixture in pan, drizzle with remaining butter mixture. Bake until golden brown about 12 minutes. Invert pan on heat proof serving plate. Leave pan over rolls a few minutes. About 2 dozen rolls.

Note: My mom thought she used Lipton's French Onion Soup mix to make this.  I think that would work--I'll have to try it at some point.

Another note: In my memory, I think there was chives in the bread.  Maybe I'm jumbled up, but again, I might have to try that addition to see how it changes things up.

No comments: