Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Farfalle with Hot Italian Sauge, Mushrooms, & Peas

I threw this dish together one night and it got rave reviews from the family. I was asked to write the recipe down so that I can make it again. I modeled this recipe after one that I saw in Giada De Laurentiis's cookbook, Everday Italian - her recipe is for Orecchiette with Spicy sausage and Broccoli Rabe. I changed it up a bit to make the family happy (Lydia HATES broccoli) and I thought adding peas and mushrooms would be delicious. Plus when I was buying ingredients, I could not find Orecchiette for under $6.50, but the Farfalle was on sale for $1.00 per box (so I went with bow ties).

Salt
1 1/2 cup frozen peas
1 box Farfalle (bow tie) pasta
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds hot Italian sausage
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground

Place the frozen peas in a large strainer. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the frozen peas (in the strainer) to the boiling water for about 30 seconds; remove from the boiling water and set the peas aside. Cook the Farfalle in the same boiling water until tender but still firm to the bite (approximately 12 minutes), stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until the sausage is brown and the juices form, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are cooked, about 2 minutes. Add the peas and pasta and coat well. Add enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and pepper and transfer to a pasta bowl.

Serves 6.

No comments: