Now that we're firmly planted in shorter days and longer nights, my palate is changing and I am wanting fall foods. Here are some of my culinary signs of fall...let me know what fall flavors you crave in the comments!
- Spiced Apple Cider. I don't love the taste of apple cider, but my husband does. I do love the way it smells--like apples and spices, essentially autumn in a cup! Heat it up and it makes the whole house smell amazing. I recently snagged a big bottle of Trader Joe's Spiced Apple Cider for about $3. Not bad.
- Pumpkin Seeds. Every Halloween, my father would roast up our pumpkin seeds. He cooked them low and slow--giving them hours in the oven to crisp up. He added salt and occasionally garlic to the seeds which gave them a huge flavor burst. I still have a hard time saying NO to roasted pumpkin seeds!
- Pumpkin everything! While I am not a fan of pumpkin pie, I do love pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, and (most of all) pumpkin cream cheese on a pumpernickel bagel. OMG that's the best bagel/cream cheese combo ever.
- Rice Crispy Treats. For some reason, these things scream FALL! They're so simple to make and taste so yummy. Again...another treat that's impossible to resist.
- Stew. I was walking by Williams Sonoma the other day and noticed their advertising. They had a huge photo of a bowl of stew and man...I wanted to take a bit. There's nothing quite like super-tender meat that's been simmering away all day in a concoction of veggies, broth, wine, etc. Yes, please!
- Chili. Just like stew, a good bowl of chili is hard to resist. And, unlike stew, you get to personalize chili with your own toppings. I love a hot bowl of chili with melty shredded cheddar cheese, freshly diced onion, and a spoonful of sour cream. Now we're talking fall!