Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pot Full of Yummy!

Last week I told you about a book my husband gave me, Glorious One Pot Meals.  I pulled it off my cookbook shelf recently for two reasons: 1) it's getting cooler so I want to eat heartier foods; and 2) I've been trying to cook at home on the weekends more often to save money and because it can be a hassle to go out over and over again.

I'm cooking my way through this book and thought I'd share one of the recipes, Chicken Marsala.  I'm not giving you the exact recipe in the book--instead, I'm giving you what I did to whip this up.  It's a super fast one pot meal, perfect for two people.  It can be easily adapted, so have fun with it if you decide to give it a try.


One Pot Chicken, Marsala Style

PAM, or olive oil spray
1 shallot, sliced fine
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup rice (use any kind you like--I've done this with normal white rice and arborio rice)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup marsala
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground fennel (optional)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 small zucchini, cut into circles and then in fourths
Mushrooms--about 16 oz., give or take--any kind you like (baby bellas, shiitake, etc.)
3 sprigs, fresh thyme

Ready for the oven!
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450.  Spray the inside and inner top of a two-quart dutch oven.
  2. Scatter sliced shallots and half the garlic on the bottom of the dutch oven.
  3. Add the rice to the dutch oven in an even layer.
  4. Mix together broth, marsala, red pepper flakes, fennel and remaining garlic.  Stir, then pour half of this mixture over the rice.
  5. Season the chicken lightly with sea salt and pepper.  Place the breasts on top of the rice (do not overlap).
  6. Pour the remaining liquid over the chicken.
  7. Scatter mushrooms and zucchini over the chicken.  Tuck the sprigs of thyme into the mushrooms.
  8. Cover and cook in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
  9. Remove thyme sprigs and serve immediately.
All cooked up and ready to serve!
NOTES:
  • Unlike normal marsala chicken, you do not get any sauce out of this dish.  What you do get is perfectly cooked, moist chicken and rice that is infused with the flavors of a traditional marsala.
  • If you want, you can substitute the rice for couscous.
  • If you don't have any zucchini, try another squash.  You can also add carrots to the mix if you want.
  • Instead of thyme, try rosemary for a heartier taste.
  • The possibilities are endless!

No comments: