First up is cauliflower with onion and tomato (phool gobi ki bhaji) - yes an Indian take on cauliflower.
2 medium sized cauliflowers
1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
7 tablespoons water
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled and very finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 small tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 - 1 fresh, hot green chili, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Break up the cauliflower into florets that are about 1 1/2 inches across at the head and 1 1/2-2 inches in length.
- Let them soak in a bowl of water for 30 minutes; drain.
- Put the onion and ginger into a food processor along with 4 tablespoons of the water. Blend until a paste forms.
- Put the oil in a wide pot and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the garlic. Stir and fry until the pieces turn a medium-brown color. Add the cauliflower and stir and fry for about 2 minutes or until the cauliflower pieces pick up a few brown spots. Remove the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and put in a bowl. Add the onion-ginger mixture into the same pan. Stir and fry it for a minute. Now add the cumin, coriander, and tomatoes. Stir and fry this mixture until it turns a medium-brown color. If it starts to burn, turn the heat down slightly and sprinkle in a tablespoon of water. Add the turmeric, cayenne, green chili, lemon juice, and salt. Stir well and turn the heat to low. Add back the cauliflower and any juices with it. Stir gently to mix. Add 3 tablespoons water, stir again and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on low heat, stirring now and then, for 5-10 minutes or until the cauliflower is done. Remove lid and sprinkle garam masala over the top. Stir to mix.
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes in to quarters and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix well.
- Pour the potato mixture on to a cookie sheet and cook for 45 minutes. Stir the potatoes every 15 minutes.