Monday, May 24, 2010

Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Linguine

On Thursday, my Mom came home from a trip to the grocery store with a pound-and-a-half of shrimp. I said "Mom, what are you making? I love shrimp." She looked at me and said "What are you making with the shrimp?"

So I was given a challenge and my response was to checkout Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis. I found her recipe for Shrimp Fra Diavolo (Brother Devil) and decided to tweak it a bit and serve it over linguine.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon oregano
3 tablespoons parsley
3 tablespoons basil
1/2 pound linguine
  • In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt and red pepper flakes. Mix well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • In a large, heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and saute until just cooked through (about 2 minutes). Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
  • Add onion to the same skillet and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, wine, garlic, oregano, parsley, and basil. Bring the sauce up to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for at least 2 hours.
  • Follow the instructions on the box for cooking linguine (I used 1/2 the box or 1/2 pound). While you wait for the water to boil, remove the shrimp from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Once you add the linguine to the boiling water, add the shrimp and all of the juices to the sauce; stir well.
  • Drain the linguine and put it in a large pasta bowl. Add the shrimp and sauce to the linguine and enjoy!
Serves 4

This turned out really well and everyone loved it (minus my son who had pizza)! If you wanted it a bit more spicy, add more red pepper flakes. The shrimp were perfectly cooked and slightly briny (but in a good way). I didn't think that any more salt was needed and was very happy with the seasoning of the dish. I served this with a salad and some crusty bread - I would definitely make this again!!

No comments: