Thursday, May 20, 2010

"If You're Afraid of Butter Use Cream"

Quick confession: I haven't been cooking anything interesting lately. I've been mooching dinners off my family and have only stepped in my kitchen to make a sandwich for Mister, feed the cats, or throw together a fast, uninspired meal. That's life.

Because I haven't been in the kitchen as much as I'd like, I've been struggling with what to write to cap off the week. So--instead of a recipe, a food essay, or a cookbook review, I'll leave you this week with a few great quotes from an amazing, revolutionary woman: Julia Child.

Julia's an easy person to mock at first glance. She wasn't beautiful. She was too tall. She had a funny way of speaking. But she rocked. And rocked hard. She opened doors to women that had been previously closed and locked tight. She made cooking entertaining. She brought suckling pig to television. The Emerils and Top Chefs of the world owe her much.

So to end the week, here are three of my favorite quotes from the amazing Julia:

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude."

"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook."

"Cooking is like love; it should be entered into with abandon or not at all."

Bon appetit!

No comments: