Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rules for Eating

Because I am something of a nerd, I listen to NPR whenever I'm in my car. I love hearing all the stories and different points of view they broadcast--it gets me through my daily commute.

On today's drive home, there was a story called Rules for Eating, and if you have 5 minutes to spare, I suggest you click over to the story and take a listen for yourself. Anyway, to sum up the story, we all have weird rules when it comes to eating. Or more specifically, we have weird rules when it comes to eating "healthy." We tend to think of food as being in two extreme camps: it will either kill us or make us healthy. There's very little gray area involved.

The story goes on to introduce us to Michael Pollan's book, "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual." Pollan argues that the rules of healthful eating are simple: eat food...not too much...mostly plants. His book includes 64 easy sounding rules for eating, like if it's advertised on TV, don't eat it; don't eat anything that won't eventually rot (with the exception of honey); don't buy food where you buy gasoline.

Now, what Pollan is saying here is that it's best to eat real foods--foods that come from a plant rather than being made in a plant. It's OK to eat and to enjoy eating, but we should also be giving more thought into what and how we eat.

The NPR story is a good one--it's thought provoking and entertaining, basically everything I love in a good NPR story. Take a listen and then let us know if you have any weird rules for eating.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

These are the best brownies, I just made them for the kids when they got home from school and they are all gone!! Okay so I had a piece too. One of my earliest memories is eating brownies at your Grandmothers house and she put powdered sugar on them - very fancy! Thanks for sharing your recipes - especially this one.

Leslie said...

I've never read this book, but I've heard of some of the rules, and I love them! They're so easy to remember, and they make eating healthy not seem so difficult. Next thing to tackle - making eating healthy more affordable. I spent $5 on a bag of frozen blueberries to make 2 green smoothies with. WTF.

Blogger said...

Want To Boost Your ClickBank Commissions And Traffic?

Bannerizer made it easy for you to promote ClickBank products using banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your picked ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the available ClickBank products.