Here is my Mom's recipe for making brownies - growing up, this was it (no box brownies ever). The first time I made these, I misread the instructions and added 2 sticks of butter - yuck! I had to toss out this batch and start over.
2 squares (2oz) unsweetened chocolate
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional - Aidan says NO to nuts)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a square pan 8x8x2".
- Melt chocolate and butter together over low heat. Beat in (with spoon) sugar and eggs.
- Measure flour by dipping method. Blend flour, baking powder + salt, stir into chocolate mixture. Mix in nuts and chocolate chips. Spread in pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until top has dull crust. A slight imprint will remain when touched lightly with finger.
- Cool slightly. Cut into 2" squares.
The dinner was delicious - Tachos are always a winner in my house and the brownies too were a treat! The best part of the evening was celebrating my little boy's special day with family and friends.