Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Easy Weeknight Dinner

Thinking of things to cook for dinner every night can be exhausting. There are only so many times during the week that you can stomach yet another plate of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

It's harder for me to figure out what to make for dinner than it should be. My husband works a ridiculous shift and he doesn't get home until 9:30 pm. When I make dinner, I have to consider how things are going to reheat. And although this isn't the BEST re-heating recipe in the world, this was a very quick, very easy, very tasty meal that's perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.

LYDIA'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS

4 Boneless Pork Chops, medium thickness
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1-2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1 Vidalia onion, sliced into rings
Sliced Mushrooms (as many as you prefer!)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (I used the low-fat version)
1/2 cup Chicken Broth (or water...or white wine)
Dried Thyme, to taste
Dried Parsley, to taste

Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.

Heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat in a skillet (I used a non-stick pan so I used less oil). When the oil is hot, add the pork chops. Saute the chops until they are lightly browned on both sides (about 5 minutes or so depending on how hot your stovetop gets!).

Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan with the chops and let cook until the vegetables soften to your liking.

Add the Cream of Mushroom soup and chicken broth to the pan. Stir well (be sure to scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the yummy browned bits!). Season the creamy mixture with thyme and parsley.

Stir and continue to cook until everything is warmed through.

Notes:
  • This serves 2 to 4 people, depending on how hungry everyone is and how thick the chops are.
  • I served this with lightly buttered whole wheat egg noodles--this let me sop up all the sauce. It would also be good over rice.
  • Feel free to change up the vegetables. I'm a red pepper fiend, so I think they'd be tasty in this. Add what you like, take out what you don't!

3 comments:

phairhead said...

Husband doesn't get home until 9:30? :(

Lydia said...

Yup. I see him for all of an hour and a half before I have to go to bed. It's a sad tale of woe, and it's been like this for about a year. It sucks for everyone involved. *pout*

Greta said...

These look really yummy!