Here is an updated version of this classic casserole.
2 T olive oil
2 lbs stew meat, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large yellow onion, chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, chopped
10-12 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Marsala wine
3 medium red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
8 oz container sour cream
10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large stew pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add stew meat, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Allow meat to brown; stir often.
- Add mushrooms, water and wine and bring to a slight boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for at least 2 hours (the meat should be very tender).
- Pour meat mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Add the sliced potatoes in a thin layer.
- Mix together the sour cream and cream of mushrooms soup; spread over the potato layer.
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered for another 30 minutes (potatoes should be very tender when pierced with a knife).
- Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy! Serves 8-10.
FYI: Always cut your potatoes thin and test that they are done with a fork. This will ensure that they cook all the way through and are not crunchy.