- Place beef, soupbone, salt, and 4 quarts water in very large kettle. Cover; bring to boiling. Skim surface.
- Add cabbage, onion,carrots, celery, green pepper, and tomatoes.
- Bring to boiling; simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Add other ingredients; simmer, covered 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove meat and bone; discard bone.
- Let meat cool. Cut into cubes; add to soup. Refrigerate several hours.
- Just before serving soup, skim fat from surface. Slowly heat soup to boiling. Store leftover soup, covered, in refrigerator.
So when my Mom makes this, she does not add the green pepper (thankfully); my Dad and I are not a fan of peppers. Also, I think that she uses stew meat that has already been cubed. The other nice thing about this soup is that the longer it cooks, the more delicious it gets - it also freezes well!