Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Egg Filled Plate of Memories

I rescued my husband from Texas many years ago. Since we left the Lone Star State back in the late 1990s, we haven't ventured further south than Northern California. I can speak for my husband when I say that he really doesn't miss Texas. However, the one thing he does miss is the food.

My husband's mom is an amazing cook. She makes the best tamales in the world, and a plate of her chicken taquitos will make everything better. The other day my husband and his mom were talking and she mentioned that she made one of my hubby's childhood favorites: scrambled eggs with corn tortillas. My husband smiled as he remembered them, and I knew what I had to do: try to replicate one of my mother-in-law's recipes.

Now, eggs and tortillas are nothing new. Some call them migas. To others, they're chilaquiles (which is a super fun word to say). Whatever you call them, scrambled eggs and tortillas is easy, cheap, versatile, and tasty.

You can have this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack...and would probably be exceptionally good after a long night out on the town.

Here's the basic recipe, though it's more of a cooking technique than a recipe.
  • Heat a non-stick skillet and add about a tablespoon of oil (not extra virgin olive oil!)
  • Tear up (or cut) a few corn tortillas into strips and add to the hot oil. Allow the tortillas to crisp up.
  • Remove crispy tortillas from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
  • Beat a few eggs with a tablespoon or so of water. Add beaten eggs to the skillet and scramble to your liking.
  • Toss the crispy tortillas into the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
  • Serve immediately.
Now here are some ideas for additions--since this is an egg dish, you could add almost anything you like:
  • Saute some veggies with the tortilla. Onions, green/red peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, etc. would all be good.
  • Add meats: cooked and crumbled bacon or sausage might be good. Or be fancy and opt for shredded beef. Ham would certainly work, but really whatever you have in the fridge could go in this dish.
  • Add cheese: cheddar, jack, whatever you like!
  • Go southwest: serve this with avocado, salsa, chorizo, and extra tortillas.
As simple as this is, I'm still trying to perfect this dish, to make it as good as my mother-in-law's. Even though what I make is probably a sad rip-off, my husband loves this and devours it happily.

Give it a try!

1 comment:

phairhead said...

chilaquiles has eggs in it? really? hmmmm...... nummy