Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chicken Casserole Goodness


Back on the blog on March 18, Lydia reviewed "The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever." After seeing the cookbook, I ran out to Half Price Books and picked it up. My first recipe from it was for Asiago Chicken and here it is:

Ingredients
4 tablespoons butter
8 boneless, chicken breast halves
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
8 slices Asiago cheese or Jarlsberg cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups dried herb stuffing
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
  2. Rinse the chicken breast halves and pat dry with paper towels. Place in the baking dish and top with the mushrooms, bell pepper, and sliced cheese.
  3. Mix the milk, flour, and sour cream in a small bowl and pour over the chicken breasts. Sprinkle the stuffing mix over evenly and drizzle with the 4 tablespoons melted butter.
  4. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are cooked through.
So here are my editorials on the recipe - I don't like peppers, so I left them out. I also used light sour cream, reduced fat Jarlsberg cheese and low sodium Chicken Stove Top Stuffing. I also mixed boneless chicken thighs and breasts. This was a super easy and very yummy meal! I served it with a tossed salad and some good bread. I would definitely make this again and I look forward to the next meal that I make from the cookbook!!

No comments: